Tea has been around for thousands of years and even though some cultures have the beverage more deeply embedded into their lifestyle, there is no doubt that it comes with a number of health benefits that anyone around the world can enjoy.
Many studies have been done in order to explore the health benefits tea has to offer, and overall, the results are positive. Although many people who consume tea also happen to lead healthier lifestyles, there is no doubt that the properties found in it are as healthful as it gets.
True tea comes from the Camellia sinensis plant and consists of four types: green, white, back, and oolong. There are also herbal infusions, sometimes referred to as tisanes, which are made using a variety of spices, flowers, and different leaves. The main component known to provide health benefits in tea are polyphenols, which contain antioxidants and high anti-inflammatory properties. The following are a few of the health benefits that true teas have to offer when consumed regularly:
- Tea helps you stay alert and concentrated with about less the amount of caffeine compared to coffee
- L-Theanine, an amino acid found in tea, helps keep the mind calm
- Lowers stress hormones
- Can help memory and insomnia
- Lowers risk for heart disease and diabetes
- Lowers risk for cancer
- Tea helps fight free radicals in the body
- It may help as a preventive treatment for certain neurological conditions such as Alzheimer’s
- Increases your metabolism
- Can help your skin, teeth, and bad breath
- Helps to lower cholesterol and blood pressure
- Strengthens your immune system
These are only a few of the benefits that tea may have. In order to enjoy the benefits that will help you the most, make sure to research what each type of tea can offer individually. You may just find your new favorite health-boosting beverage!