Everyone ages, but the habits we adopt throughout our lifetime can have a huge impact on the way we age. While aging is a natural process that many people have difficulty coming to terms with, it doesn’t have to be something to dread. By simply practicing healthier habits our bodies (and time) will thank us and treat us well in return.
There are certain habits that people adopt without realizing it’s actually making them age quicker than normal. Ever wondered if you might be practicing one of these habits? Keep reading to find out a list of things that can actually speed up the aging process.
- You skip sleep: Sleep is one of the most important natural processes of the human body as its main function is to help us recover. As we sleep, our cells repair themselves and our bodies get the rest they need in order to function properly. Skipping sleep can make your skin look dull and tired while getting enough sleep will contribute to a youthful glow.
- You don’t exercise: Being too sedentary can contribute to weight gain and decline your bodily functions as you age. In order to enjoy a long, healthy life it’s important to stay active.
- Excessive smoking and drinking: Smoking and drinking are both known to speed up the aging process. This is because it can break down your skin elasticity and cause wrinkles and also decline your cognitive function.
- Poor diet: Food plays a huge role in your overall health. Eating processed sugar, fried foods, and alcohol can all speed up the aging process. Instead, incorporating more fruits and vegetables can help your body look and feel better as you age.
- Stress: Leading a high-stress lifestyle will make you age at a much quicker pace than you should. Keeping stress at bay and practicing mindfulness techniques such as meditation and yoga can actually help you age gracefully.
Of course, everyone has different genetic makeup and will age at a different pace. The list above is only a few of the many things that can contribute to premature aging and a decrease in proper bodily function. Always remember to adopt healthy habits that will benefit your needs and lifestyle!