It’s safe to say that if you exercise, play a sport, or are physically active you may experience an injury at any given time during your life. A sports injury is a type of injury that occurs during any form of physical activity and involves the muscles and bones and can relate to a number of factors. Common type of sports injuries may include fractures, sprains, torn ligaments, and even the dislocation of body parts.
Sports injuries are fairly common, but this is not to say that everyone should experience them on a regular basis. There are many things you can do in order to set yourself up for success and reduce your risk of injury. The following are some measures to take in order to avoid sports injuries:
- Warm up: Make sure to practice dynamic stretching or stretching specific to your sport before starting physical activity in order to warm up the muscle and prepare it for movement. If you’ve had a previous injury, properly warm up the area.
- Cool down: Likewise, it’s important to stretch the muscles and relax them after finishing a physical activity.
- Wear protection: Certain sports require protective gear. Whether it’s a helmet, pads, protective eyewear, or even shoes, make sure you are wearing the proper protection to keep yourself and others safe.
- Follow the rules: By following the rules of a sport and taking proper precautions inside a gym you are less likely to suffer from injuries or even worse, cause someone else to suffer an injury.
- Rest day: Give yourself enough time in between workouts and physical training to rest. Overworking your body is an easy way to risk getting an injury.
- Listen to your body: If you feel pain somewhere, listen to your body’s warning signs. Straining your body while it’s in pain can definitely lead to unwanted injuries and more pain.