Aging is part of the natural human condition. While all of us will experience wrinkles, there are a few factors such as genetics and lifestyle choices that can affect just how many or when we begin to see them show on our skin.
Establishing a proper skincare routine, whether you are a man or a woman, can go a long way in showing long term benefits when it comes to skin health. Caring for your skin is not just about beauty and aesthetics, as skin cancer and other issues can affect all genders alike.
The following are some of the most important steps you can start taking today in order to maintain healthy skin for a long time and age gracefully with a reduced risk of skin disease.
- Use sunscreen: Always remember this rule, sun exposure can cause sunburn and skin cancer. Remembering to wear sunscreen whenever you go to the beach or spend days at the park is important, but applying sunscreen day to day is also necessary. A helpful tip is to keep your sunscreen near your toothbrush so you can easily develop this habit.
- Cover up: In addition to wearing sunscreen, remember to wear protective clothing if you will be out all day and to stay in an area with shade whenever possible.
- Stay hydrated: Drinking plenty of water throughout the day, every day, will keep your skin looking hydrated and supple.
- Eat healthily: Eating healthy is beneficial to your overall health, but when it comes to skin, eating plenty of fruits and veggies full of antioxidants can help keep your skin glowing, clear, and young.
- Quit smoking: Smoking affects the production of collagen and elastin, the proteins that keep your skin looking young. It also decreases blood flow to the skin and increases the risk of certain types of cancer, so it’s best to avoid smoking and to find help in order to quit as soon as possible.
- Establish a skin care routine: Establishing a routine that fits your skin type, and actually sticking to it regularly, can have long term benefits for your skin’s health.
- Relax: Stress can have a huge impact on your skin by causing premature wrinkles. Try to keep stress at bay by practicing relaxation techniques and both your skin and your mental health will reap the benefits!