As you get older you are more likely to hurt your back when you bend down or lift an object up. Every time you bend down incorrectly you are closer to hurting your back. As we age our muscles become less flexible. If your job requires you to lift heavy objects make sure you are aware of the way you should bend down correctly.
To prevent any injuries or back pain when you bend down to lift an object, this is the proper way:
- Spread your feet apart so you can give your body a base of support.
- Stand close to the object you are about to lift.
- When bending down, don’t lock your knees and bring your torso to the front. Make sure that you bend your knees.
- Tighten up your abs when you lift the object up or down.
- When you’ve picked up the object make sure that it is close to your body.
- When you are about to stand up, use your leg muscles to push you up.
- If you are going to set an object down on the floor make sure you follow these steps and when you are about to bend down get into a squat pose, make sure to keep your back straight to prevent any back strain or injury.