COVID-19 has certainly changed many aspects of our lives including the way we travel. Now, many Americans are choosing to go on road trips within their states or even out of state to avoid crowded airplanes and take a much needed vacation during this pandemic.
Whether traveling in a vehicle or on an airplane, traveling is rough on our bodies. Traveling can leave us stressed, tired, stiff and sore. If you are planning on heading out for a road trip, sitting for long periods of time can be damaging for your body.
Here are some times to help you avoid aches and pains during your road trip:
- Do some upper body and lower body stretches before, during and after your car ride.
- While stopping for food, fuel or to use the restroom, take a quick walk to help stretch your hamstring and calf muscles.
- If you are the driver, adjust your seat so you are close enough to the steering wheel that you’re not extending your arms as far, while maintaining a safe distance (about 10 inches) from the airbag. Consider purchasing a back support to help reduce lower back pain and strain. Tighten and loosen your grip on the steering wheel to improve hand circulation and decrease muscle fatigue in the arms, wrists and hands.
- Exercise your legs to reduce the risk of swelling or discomfort. Open your toes as wide as you can and count to ten. Count to five while you tighten your calf muscles.
- Roll your shoulders forward and back. Shift your position periodically. Even 10 seconds of movement and stretching is better than sitting still. Try to change your position every 15 to 20 minutes as long as it’s safe.
- Take rest breaks. Driver and passenger fatigue is real.
- Keep your back pockets empty. Sitting on your wallet or anything else could throw your spine out of alignment.
While implementing these tips into your road trip, remember if you are the driver to keep your hands on the steering wheel and your eyes on the road.
If you’ve been injured in a car accident and need chiropractic treatment, call us at 1-800-411-PAIN or click HERE to find a clinic location near you.
We here at Path Medical are ready to serve you and guide you down the PATH to wellness.
Call 1-800-411-PAIN today and our lawyer referral service will find the right lawyer you need to seek the compensation you deserve! Why call one attorney when you can call hundreds of attorneys with one simple call to us. 411 PAIN has done the research and vetted out a network of attorneys that you can trust. We made it simple for you to find the lawyer you need. Our goal is to help you receive the appropriate compensation based on your individual circumstances. 411 PAIN wants you to get the maximum compensation you are entitled to! 1-800-411-PAIN is available to you 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, including weekends and holidays. Whenever and wherever your accident happens, 411 PAIN is there for you!