A good portion of Americans own a smart phone and 81% of those Americans send and receive text messages. On average, smart phone users receive 72 messages per day and spend around 5 hours a day looking at their phone.1 The more messages we receive, the more our necks are taking a hit. The strain coming from overusing our smart phones is called ‘text neck.’
Text neck is caused by having poor posture while using our smart phones. We simply become hunched with our heads drooping forward and shoulders becoming rounded. As humans, we do this naturally. We get so wrapped into our messages, games and social media, we don’t even realize we have poor posture.
Here are some tips to help you avoid text neck:
- Remember to sit up straight with your chest out, shoulders back.
- Instead of dropping your head forward, try tucking your chin into your chest so you can look down.
- Rest your forearms on a pillow or something soft to help minimize neck tension.
- Change how you hold your phone. Bring your arms to your eyes so you don’t need to drop your head to look at the screen.
- Try not to use your smart phone in bright sunlight. When you can’t see the screen clearly, you may lean forward and use poor posture to be able to see your screen.
- If traveling on a road trip, avoid using your smart phone for long periods of time.
- Trying doing 10 minutes of yoga. Yoga helps improve movement patterns, increases body awareness and incorporates breath work.
When you sum up all these tips, the overall thought is to limit the use of your smart phone to avoid text neck.
If you’ve been injured in a car accident and need chiropractic treatment, call us at 1-800-411-PAIN or click HERE to find a clinic location near you.
We here at Path Medical are ready to serve you and guide you down the PATH to wellness.
Call 1-800-411-PAIN today and our lawyer referral service will find the right lawyer you need to seek the compensation you deserve! Why call one attorney when you can call hundreds of attorneys with one simple call to us. 411 PAIN has done the research and vetted out a network of attorneys that you can trust. We made it simple for you to find the lawyer you need. Our goal is to help you receive the appropriate compensation based on your individual circumstances. 411 PAIN wants you to get the maximum compensation you are entitled to! 1-800-411-PAIN is available to you 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, including weekends and holidays. Whenever and wherever your accident happens, 411 PAIN is there for you!